Use of the JR EAST PASS (EAST – South Hokaido) is limited to tourists from Japan whose travel visa does not exceed 90 days (marked on the passport upon arrival) and with a non-Japanese passport.
Allows unlimited use of the JR EAST train network in the Tohoku area and South Hokaido.
You can start using the pass from Narita Airport itself or Haneda to Tokyo if you wish, use the Shinkansen or express limited to Aomori or Sendai, in addition to the JR East lines, you can also make use of some trains that are not part of the JR network in Izu and Nikko.
With this pass you may use all of the above for five non-consecutive days within 14 days from the date of the change in one of the JR offices (See offices here).
You may make unlimited use of local trains, limited express trains and Shinkansen on the following lines and companies:
- JR East Lines (including BRT*)
- Izu Kyuko Line
- Aoimori Railway
- Iwate Galaxy Railway (IGR)
- Tokyo Monorail
- Sendai Airport Transit
- Express trains limited to the JR East and Tobu Railway lines: Nikko, SPACIA Nikko, Kinugawa and SPACIA Kinugawa.
- Local and fast trains between Shimo-Imaichu and Tobu-Nikko/ Kinugawa-onsen at Tobu Raukway Lines, only on limited express trains connecting directly with Tobu Railway Lines **
- JR buses (excluding road buses) within the area.
* Rapid transit buses.
**The JR EAST PASS (Tohoku area) can be used for Tobu Railway Lines as long as the departure or destination station is on a JR line.
The JR EAST PASS (Tohoku area) is not valid for Tokaido Shinkansen because it is managed by a different railway company.
GALA Yuzawa station operates only in winter and spring.
- The pass user must have a passport issued by a country different to Japan.
- The pass user must enter Japan as a temporary visitor and have a “Temporary Visitor” stamped on their passport.
- Please carry your passport when using your pass. It may be required by JR staff for confirmation of identity.
- Visitors with dual nationality in Japan and another country will not be able to use a JR EAST PASS (Tohoku area) if they entered Japan with their Japanese passport.
- A JR EAST PASS (Tohoku area) cannot be purchased if the period of stay in Japan indicated on the passport is shorter than the validity period of the pass.
Credit for images copyrighted by JNTO ©JNTO